out hunting today

JMoss

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118392149433464426705/albums/6001525544982818513
Today I was in beautiful downtown Winnie, Texas at Larrys Old Time Trade days. To my surprise (I had been there before) there was a good bit of CI to look at. I bought what i think is an unmarked Wagner 11 1/4 inch round handled griddle and a small trivet. The trivet is marked with a 1 and the letter B. I have no clue who made that one.

I spoke to a dealer who had a nasty pile of 33 rusty and/or greasy cast iron skillets and lids. He wanted $100 for the whole pile. The only thing I could definitely identify was a Lodge #10 lid, with the bullet droppers. The rest were caked up, rusted up mystery pieces from #3 to #8. I declined the offer and he immediately dropped it to $75. I was tempted. I could use that #10 lid. Then I thought about how much work it would be to find out what was under the crud and I walked away before I bit off more than i could chew.

The hunting is always the fun part.

Please let me know if the link isn't good. I still have problems with Google +

Jack

I think I would have bit on the pile of caked up projects, that's right up my alley :). I can only hope to come across something like that someday.

It was a mix. Mostly #3's, some I thought were unmarked Wagners, some imports. I guess I'm just not ready to take on that many unknowns hoping I can find enough good ones to get my money back.

OK, I'm cheap!!

Jack

Although I am not a serious collector, it would have been huge fun to clean and identify so many pieces. I love getting the crud off and seeing what is underneath. You could keep the good ones and haul the rest to a flea market.

Yes, JB, I enjoy seeing what is under the crud also. And the fact that I have about 60 pieces I want to sell pretty much confirms that. It also confirms that I'm not so good at the selling part of this hobby.

How do most of you folks dispose of your extra pieces?

Jack

My collection consists of a grand total of 7 skillets and a footed kettle with lid.

If I had that many extras to dispose of, I would consider posting on Craigslist and renting a table at a flea market. A local antique store sells on consignment. They get 40%. eBay is always an option, but could be a bit of a pain with photos and shipping.

Maybe this hobby needs regional shows. That would be a good way to buy, sell and trade. I think the Wagner Griswold people already have a national show.

Maybe you could host a show in your part of the country. In the past, I helped host several shows relating to another collecting hobby.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118392149433464426705/albums/6001808141944146129

Thanks JB.
I had never considered setting up a table at a flea market. I have heard that "cowboy cooking" is becoming popular and they use a lot of cast iron. I wish I knew how to tap in to that group.

This link is to some new pictures of the trivet right after it came out of the electrolysis vat and the griddle after it came out of the lye bath. I don't remember ever before seeing that swirl pattern on the cooking surface of a Wagner pan. I wonder if that is indicative of the time period that it was made. I'm guessing late 50's.

Jack

Back