Oddball Cast Aluminum

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this at a flea market last weekend. Not sure what the word is. Aluma? Super Cooker made by Rome Industries, Peoria IL, also famous for those campfire pie irons. The bases of the handles and a band around the outside top are hammered finish. Both handles have "HOT" embossed on their tops. Not sure what its intended use is. A quick web search reveals it came with a cover with a single similar handle and styling like the bottom of the pan. Price tag said $125. I passed.
ghpOpu8.jpg

xCBfYon.jpg

Thats something I have never seen before. Very odd to say the least. Thanks for the pics. I probably would have passed too, but neat to see.

I found info about this cooker on a different discussion forum. The poster said in 2018, "This item isn’t particularly old but I believe it is no longer in production so I suppose it is vintage in that respect.

This is a Rome Industries Aluwa Super Cooker that is a great lightweight alternative to a cast iron Dutch oven. Also known as the Quetico Superior Oven, this cast aluminum gem is just the right size and shape for frying fish and the lid doubles as a griddle. I have read that these were quite popular with canoe guides. A small folding grill can be stored inside with some cooking utensils. This cooker along with a bucket/pot makes a combo that covers just about everything."

Back