Nickel Plated Lodge Cleaning

KenK

First post and a general question regarding cleaning and seasoning a nickel plated Lodge #8. The skillet has the Lodge script logo and is plated on the outside and is bare in the cooking surface. The plating is in fairly decent shape with some bare spot on the skillet bottom (expected I guess from being used for about 100 years). I have it in the lye bath now. I don't have an electrolysis tank but instead clean rust with good old vinegar and water

First question - will immersing in such a solution mess up the nickel plating
Second question - I use grape seed oil to season. When I season do I rub the whole skillet with oil or just the interior cooking surface

I love the look nickel look but I'm not sure if they're worth the hassle Pics to come

Thanks in advance

Ken

Lye will not hurt the nickel. I give the plated areas a once-over with the oil while seasoning the bare iron parts, just so any worn spots are rust-proofed. No need to do any more than that, and grapeseed being a lighter oil would be a good choice.

thanks for your quick response. the concern I have is more about immersing it in a vinegar solution. This is not a full nickel plate as the interior cooking surface is bare iron. I want to ensure that the interior is rust free before I season. If I fully immerse it in a vinegar solution will the vinegar eat at the nickel plate or should I mix a vinegar water solution and just fill the interior to the rim

I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar, and use it for evening out dark spots. Spray the area, let sit 10 minutes and scrub with S/S scrubber or steel wool. Then rinse and go again if necessary. For average surface rust, you could do the same, or do as you suggest and fill with 50/50 vinegar/water for 30 minute soak and scrub sessions.

Back