New Finds Yesterday

RJ Ruchti

Stopped in a junk shop I had not been to in a few months to check things out. After spending about 45 min in the large organized unheated portion of the building I returned to the much smaller but warmer area. Spotted some cast iron hanging on some hooks facing the outside window. I could just squeeze through the narrow opening to get to get to them. First was a Griswold 10" skillet, nothing special for $65.00. Next in line was an unmarked lodge 3 notch marked with a 3/4" 9 at 12:00 a little above to the left was v 7 in small digits. At 6:00 was the letter G. Overall, the skillet looked in good condition other than the normal crud built up. I kept it for $12.50. Last one was a 6" lodge modern era skillet in good overall condition for $5 marked U.S.A. 3 S K. This is the first skillet I have ran across with recessed heat ring, or grove around the outer edge. I am thinking this may not be a Lodge casting but a counterfeit. Only markings are the Lodge logo and the U.S.A. 3 S K under the logo.

Lodge Modren 5 inch.2.jpg Lodge Modern 5 inch.jpg Lodge 9inch 3 notch .jpg Lodge 9 inch 40-50.jpg

I found where Lodge did cast some skillets with the heat ring recessed but did not have the USA or the SK with the logo like mine has. The hunt goes on.

Your # 6 3-notch lodge dates from 1940 to the late '40's. From the late '40's to the early '50's Lodge put a bump-out above and to the left of the number with a 1, 2, or 3 in it as a shift identifier. All of my post 1993 Lodges are marked just like yours although I don't pay as much attention to them. I think your post '93 is authentic. I really do not see a reason why anyone would make a copy of a post '93 Lodge, especially for $5.

That $5 was junk shop price, not MSRP. I have a couple corn stick pan that were cast in Mexico. Wagner copies I believe. Got them at auction with other items. Stick pans usually don't sell for much in this area.

Stopped by an antique, collectables and furniture place Monday on the way home from the Dr. Lot of stuff, clean place, as well organized as a place like that can be. Found a Lodge chicken fryer in a stack of pans. Had the blob with a 3 in it next to and above the size number. Pan looked like it was oiled down with motor oil. Thick glob was settled to the lower edge inside where the pan had been sitting at an angle. I didn't touch it, but it did not run when I moved the pan or turned it over. Tag tied to the handle had a price of $58.50. Other side said 100-year-old chicken fryer. Pan looked solid, flat bottom, no serious dings or dents, would probably have cleaned up good. But not for $58.50. I knew he would not come down to a reasonable price so I just put it back and moved on. It will probably be there when I get back that way next week and may stop in and try to talk him down some. Will see how hungary he is.

Back