National #8 Restoration and disappointment...

Chris H

Here's some before and after shots of a National #8 with a star that I restored with electrolysis. Couldn't see the star before cleaning. Sadly, after removing all of the old crud and seasoning, I discovered a crack in the edge of the skillet across from the handle. It was not visible at all prior to cleaning :(

http://imgur.com/a/210CN

When out hunting, always bring a small, bright flashlight. If it's crudded up enough that you can't tell if it's cracked or not, use that in your negotiating.

• $35.....
  • I just can't tell if it's cracked or not with all this crud, how about $20?
  • $30
  • It's going to take a lot of work to get this cleaned up.
  • Ok $20

I too know you pain Chris. I have a feeling, being new to this, most of us cast iron hunters feel this pain at some time.

You know, I'm going to start bringing one of my super bright flashlights when hunting, good advice Rick.

Is it true that a cracked piece will not "ring" like an un-cracked piece does?

From my experience, admittedly somewhat limited, cracked pieces sound dull while intact pieces clearly ring.

Anyone experience otherwise?

Is it true that a cracked piece will not "ring" like an un-cracked piece does?

Well, I've had pieces with cracks that when struck you could hear a vibration where the two sides of the crack vibrated against each other. I've also seen ones with nice long cracks that sounded fine. If the crack is filled in with hardened seasoning, it's almost like it's whole again, and will probably "ring" like normal.

If a pan is so caked with burnt food/seasoning that you can't tell visually if it's cracked, then trying the "ring" test will be dulled/muffled by the crud anyway.

It's not a test that I would use to determine if something is cracked or not.

It's not a test that I would use to determine if something is cracked or not.

With the limited knowledge I've gained, I'd agree.

My #7 with a crack(cleaned) rings just like my uncracked #8(cleaned), both from the same mfg.

I just looked at your pictures, you did a nice job of cleaning that pan out.

I have a question, could a person still use a pan with that kind of crack for something like eggs, bacon, or other things that do not rise too far up the sides?

KELLY

Some people do. I'm sure there are plenty of cracked pans being used every day without people realizing. This crack was completely buried under the seasoning, obviously this skillet had been used quite a bit in this condition.

On the other hand, I've read plenty of stories of exploding skillets and handles breaking off, spilling hot oil everywhere. I guess it's a chance you've got to be willing to take.

These small cracks on the upper part of the lip are probably the least worrisome compared to cracks lower down on the cooking surface.

Cast iron is plentiful, I don't really think it's worth the risk when you can easily get another skillet for cheap.

My experience is the "ping" method works on large pots and kettles. The sound will be duller than the crisp ring. I have tried it on a no.12 Martin I have with a crack in the same location as the no. 8 National. I cleaned the Martin and the wife has used it for years for a deep dish pizza pan. The crack has not grown.

I too have a cracked pan. I figured I would just use it to practice brazing. Stop drill the end of the crack oven pre heat, local torch heat then nickle braze the crack to keep it from getting worse.

http://www.brazing.com/techguide/procedures/cast_iron.asp

I never thought of the possibility of having a pan full of hot grease let go. Maybe mark the pan as "repaired" on the top of the handle as a easily seen reminder.

Mine is just a crack from the lip down into the radius of the skillet, Not a handle. Handle repair I'd have to put some more thought into. Maybe a doubler patch increasing the surface area spreading the stresses over a wider area.

Of course all this is more work than it is ever worth......It still ,I think, would look cool after all done with a tough built up repair.

That's just the way I roll,..:mrgreen:

Back