Mystery Enameled Fryer

DavidC

I've recently started collecting cast iron skillets and have learned quite a bit from this site, lots of good information... However, I have one piece that I inherited from my mother, who in turn had inherited from her mother (born in 1895) that I'm having trouble identifying... It appears to be an enameled cast iron "chicken fryer", but I haven't been able to find any information online, haven't found a single picture of a similar item... It has a raised "8" on both the lid and the top of the handle, an inset continuous heat ring (no notches)... the domed lid has 'basting dimples' (they are inset, not raised) in a sort of radiating pattern (not random). I've attached a few pictures.. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Attachments

• Fryer-1.jpg
    Fryer-1.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Fryer-2.jpg
    Fryer-2.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Fryer-3.jpg
    Fryer-3.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Fryer-4.jpg
    Fryer-4.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Fryer-0.jpg
    Fryer-0.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 20
So many characteristics that, taken individually, suggest any of 3 or more possible makers. But taken altogether add up to none of them. The raised markings and placement on the bottom of the pan and lid appear to be molder's marks for piecework pay, and at least confirm the pan and cover are a match. Seems well-made enough to suggest a sizeable and competent operation, especially if they did their own enameling.

Back