My favorite piece of CI

Bonnie Scott

If I had to pick one piece of my cast iron I couldn't do without it would be my oval Descoware. I use it at least once a week. Over the years I have gathered at least a half dozen pans and one DRU Holland. I usually find them crusted at the thrift store for under five dollars. I am able to clean the outside of the dish to look like brand new but there are often stains that remain on the inside surface. Is there a way to remove these stains?

I tend to think the typical staining is why Le Creuset changed their interior color from off-white to sand. I have had good luck with Bar Keeper's Friend on Pyrex, and would be tempted to try it on enameled CI, testing it on a small spot on the bottom first. LC sells a product for that issue, IIRC, but I am not familiar with what its active ingredient is.

I am a huge fan of barkeepers friend. I have destroyed a couple of Pyrex bowls with it though. When used to aggressively it will remove the pattern. My daughter has 2 little ones and prefers for me to do the scrubbing part of the Pyrex peddling business. The staining on the bottom of the Descoware doesn't bother me at all but I thought about selling some of it and wanted it to show well. Sorry if I am being a pest with so many questions. I do appreciate your input. Thanks, Bonnie

I searched around on the web and couldn't really find any examples of people getting their enamelware stain free. I started thinking about Fels Naptha and wondered if it might work. I found this ad from 1921 and saw the gal down in the left hand corner scrubbing her sink with it. I think next time I soak my linens in Fels Naptha I will use my enamelware pot and kill two birds with one stone.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=fels naptha enamel&f=false

I just wanted to add in defense of Bar Keepers Friend that I am still not sure whether it was the BKF or previous dish washer damage that caused the pattern to wash off.

I have read warnings against using BKF on patterned pieces. But I really only look for solid color pieces in VG to EX condition. My first attempt with BKF was on two old 1940s 403 and 404 mixing bowls with baked on brown stains. Dawn Power Dissolver didn't touch it, but BKF and a wet paper towel took it off like magic.

BKF and a magic eraser is a favorite trick of mine. I have a couple of 1920s clear Pyrex dishes that I treasure. The magic eraser and BKF made easy work of getting rid of all the stuck on food. Something about that little sponge helps reach into corners and crevices and pull out the gunk.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

There is just something about that old Pyrex logo with the big $ right in the middle that makes me happy.

Back