Must have been end of road for Wagner? The "Have grill will travel"

Jim G

Got this from an estate sale this weekend. The "Have grill will travel". It's a hibachi grill. Can't find any info on it (other then one out of date ebay sale) - it doesn't have a barcode on the box so pre-80s? It's labeled Model 1150, but that is reusing a model #. The enclosed brochures seem a bit hyped up. The grill top is attached to the legs by large slotted screws. That says something about furniture - until c. mid 70s, but I don't know about this.

No marks on the cast iron or the charcoal pan. It's like finding a Gillette Double edge razor from 1987, sure it was the last year they made them, but not like they used to!

20220627_095009.jpg20220627_094742.jpg20220627_094749.jpg20220627_095036.jpg20220627_095026.jpg

-jim

That the brochure still says Sidney, Ohio would seem to imply the late 1950s. The stylized logo in a red oval with white lettering is seen used on mid- to late-1950s literature. Seen elsewhere, the box at some point included a handle closure and the verbiage "Porta-Grill" (instead of Portable Grill).

Thanks! I kept using "portable" as a search term, "porta" worked better. It doesn't show up in the Blue book, is there any info about it in the Red book? I should obtain a copy of the Redbook nonetheless. I don't have any actual data to back this up, but it seems like we come across more marked Wagner then marked Griswold.

So definitely not as recent as I was thinking. I'm pretty sure that this is the first cast iron packaging I've ever touched, which is why I picked it up.

Top of the box, I hit a 5 image limit on first post.

20220627_094851.jpg

I have never seen one of these. Its like a sportsman grill. Good find! It looks NEW to me!

Back