Maslin Kettle

I found this Maslin Kettle the other day. I'd never heard of this type of kettle, so I did some online research and discovered they were used for making jams and jellies among other things. In England they were made of brass or copper. One online source called this Kettle a double branded kettle because it had both the ERIE and the Griswold Mfg co. logo on it. I've seen pictures of other kettles that didn't have the ERIE name on it. It was dated on one site I visited as being circa 1905. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but I plan to. If anyone has any other info on maslin kettles I'd like to hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 12
Most of the older ones with heat rings you see marked this way. Likely they originally just said ERIE and perhaps the pattern number. Since old catalogs never show the bottoms of pans, it's hard to say when markings were changed, but 1905, which is about the time they started using "Griswold's Erie", to a decade later would probably be in the ballpark. Catalogs do seem to indicate that they still had heat rings ca. 1915, but by 1926, the shape had gone to smooth bottom.

Back