Mardi Gras

Around here, cornbread is seen served with beans & rice, but not with gumbo. You may, however, see your gumbo served with a scoop of potato salad in it.

Over the weekend a TV chef was doing one also. The roommate mentioned we should make some soon, although his WE really means I should make some:tongue:

The cornbread is just fine with that and I may do the same here soon, something different for me but would be a nice menu change. I'll have to browse some recipes for the basic concept and a few of the ingredients and ballpark my own.

Gotta remember I live in southern CA, Doug, we have no traditions. If it feels good, do it. I don't use file to thicken my gumbo, so, I crumble about half of that cornbread in the bowl and use the other half as a mop. The potato salad mention made me shudder. Can't imagine any potato salad I've ever eaten or made complimenting or countering a deep rich gumbo on the palate, maybe German mustard based dressing. Ooo, just shuddered again.
Steven, embrace the process. It is rewarding. A fresh baguette works if you run out of time to get the cornbread made.

I think it's weird, too, but it's done. We also see shrimp stew in a brown roux gravy with potato chunks over rice. 30°N 90°W give or take 50 miles.

I grew up in Texas, where cornbread pretty much went with everything. Then when I moved to the Seattle area many years ago, I could only find cornmeal in the small size box. What? That would be gone in a week!

Not so now, but funny then. :chuckle:

In eastern NC where I grew up we had cornbread many different ways. Baked in a cast iron skillet or a pan. Fried in little cakes sort of like pancakes but with a small amount of oil in the skillet, hush puppies deep fried, corn sticks, lace cornbread which was a thin batter also shallow fried in a little oil until it was crispy on the outer edges and we also had cornmeal dumplings cooked in the top of a pot of collard greens cabbage or a mix of young mustard, turnip and kale greens. And there was always some pig in the pot.

Russell, your post brought back memories of my childhood ... and made my mouth water! That's my kind of eatin' right there.

I grew up in Texas, where cornbread pretty much went with everything. Then when I moved to the Seattle area many years ago, I could only find cornmeal in the small size box. What? That would be gone in a week!

Not so now, but funny then. :chuckle:

Again I am made to think of us here versus the pioneers. Think of Gary Cooper in Sergeant York, showing up for dinner after working all day to get money to buy his bottom land.

"Some salt for your 'pone, Alvin?" his mother offers lovingly.

"That depends, maw. Are ye a-servin' the pone with gumbo today, with seasoned beans, grilled pompano, or German potato salad?"

Back