Lye from Lowe's

John E

(New member here, so a formal hello to everyone!)

I just set up my first lye bath after doing the oven cleaner method a couple of times. I found that Lowe's carries "Roebic Crystal Drain Opener" which is 100% pure sodium hydroxide. It was $15.08 for a 2lb bottle. The store nearest to me was out of stock but the next nearest had a whole bunch of it. You can check your local availability online too which is convenient. Hope it helps someone out!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_486650-331-HD-CRY-DO_0__?productId=4751600

Check your local Ace Hardware for "Rooto" drain cleaner, also 100% NaOH. 1 lb. bottles there are just under $4. The only other cheaper place I've found is an online soap making vendor, but you must buy a case lot of 2# bottles (32 lb. total) for their best price. But it is food grade, if that is desired. I would steer clear of bulk bags unless I had several small airtight plastic bottles to divide it up into.

Unfortunately all of the Ace Hardware stores near me have gone out of business. I'm in NC, so there's three or four different Lowe's in shouting distance from any place you might find yourself. Probably why Ace is all but extinct.

The good thing is, whether you spend $4/lb. or $7.50/lb., it lasts a very long time and cleans a whole bunch of pans.

Check for lye at "Essential Depot". That's where I got mine for about $4/lb but I did have to buy a number of bottles. Price varies by how many bottles you get and they have sales from time to time.

And on a related note...

Don't skimp on the gloves. I made the mistake of grabbing the cheapo generic yellow ones. They failed, and by the time I realized it, it was a bit too late. Fortunately it's not too bad, but ouch!

John,

Where in NC?

I'm in Charlotte an we have ONE Ace and they did have lye. I also found it at the Monroe Hardware in Mint Hill.

If you're not too far away, maybe I can help out....

Where in NC?

Near Raleigh. If I really need to get to an Ace, there's one downtown that I could make it to. However there's probably at least 6 Lowes that are closer to me than that. That's why I brought up Lowes in case others were in the same situation -- know that you can in fact get lye there if it's the most convenient place for you.

I set up my first lye bath, also with the Lowe's Roebic drain opener. Check on a skillet after 3 full days, but no change. I assume it will take longer, and warmer temps?

Cold definitely puts a damper on lye progress. But, as long as what you're using is labeled 100% lye (sodium hydroxide), at a concentration of 1 lb. per five gallons of water (some use double that), it should start working once it warms up.

Back