Lye Bath

JasonL

Just started my first lye bath. I have it set up in a small room that holds the furnace and water tank. It stays around 70 in there and I was wondering if it's safe to have the container next to the furnace.
12878855353_23047fc71a.jpg

Placing a lye bath in an interior space should not give you a problem other leakage or odor. Electrolysis, on the other hand, gives off hydrogen gas, potentially flammable.

That's good to know about the electrolysis, I would have set that up in the same room. I would like to try that method sometime but i'll wait until summer for that so I can keep it outside. I used pretty warm water to start and when I was mixing the lye had some steam rising and caused a little irritation, just some sneazing. I was amazed at how quick it started working, and very excited to see the results.

Electro in a well-ventilated room would likely not be a problem, but certainly not prudent to have one in a room with a gas furnace or water heater.

Just some info guys,
Wife wanted to see my electro tank which is in a 28'x28' shop with a 10' ceiling. Tank was running. Wife waits outside while I go in and open overhead door. Tank is within 2' of door. Wife walks up to tank and within 10 seconds she has trouble breathing, talking and eyes running water. We back up into the yard and in a few minutes in the fresh air the symptoms start fading away. While she is catching her breath I turn tank off and she slowly comes back to tank with no adverse affects.
Hydrogen gas can be really bad! Do the ventilation thing.

Tim

Back