Looking for info on this skillet

T.Isbister

I've searched this forum as well as the web and I still haven't identified this skillet. Here's what I know about it. I got this skillet in 1984 from my dad's employer who brought the skillet with him when he moved from Illinois to Georgia in 1950. The only stamp it has is the number 14 at 6 o'clock on the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated.20231025_153930.jpg20231025_154004.jpg

Appears to be something a foundry based off a BSR. The position of the marking is correct for them, but the handle isn't. But that could merely be the maker's attempt to obscure the fact that they used the pan of another maker for their pattern. Seems well-made, otherwise. The light color makes me want to ask is it aluminum. If iron, it looks like it could have been sandblasted.

I bead blasted it. When my mom had it she painted it and decorated it to hang on the wall. It's cast iron and weighs 12 pounds. Top measures 14 15/16 inches. Pour spouts are 2 1/4 inch at widest part. Pan is flat and seems well made but the hole in the handle looks a little crude.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL... when I read that you bead blasted it, I immediately cringed; however, when I read that your mom had painted it... well, I think bead blasting is a better solution than using chemicals to remove the paint.

My sister bought a Norpro Jalapeño pan for me before I knew anything about electrolysis or lye treatments. The paper sticker that came with it indicated:

"Pre-seasoned with rust proof lacquer coating, ready-to-use".

I didn't feel comfortable cooking on a lacquer surface. A friend had a cabinet type sandblaster so I sandblasted it. It wasn't a smooth finish to start with so I don't think I really hurt anything. A few quick coats of seasoning and it looked fine.

Would the same thought apply to something like a modern Lodge? I don't know but I have electrolysis readily available so I would do electrolysis cleaning. I certainly wouldn't sandblast a smooth finish pan. As I understand it, bead blasting does not affect what you are trying to clean as much as sandblasting due to the different blasting media.

Attachments

• Norpro Jalapeno Pan.jpg
    Norpro Jalapeno Pan.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
Back