Lodge 8" deep camp oven

Brandon_N

I have a question. Any idea when this dutch oven was made (left one). I believe it is a lodge but there are no markings anywhere on it. The one on the right is a lodge #8. It also looks like a deep did lodge ever make a deep. This was my wife grandpas and he used it a lot in the 80's and 90's but he doesn't remember where he got it before that, he is 97. the inside is very smooth.

Brandon
lodge 8.jpg

Without seeing more than the one photo, there's not really any way to tell. Lodge made deep "country ovens" but not shown with bail ears like that.

Here are some more pictures. Older deep on left and standard on right. The bail ears on this on look like a older lodge 10" I have. And a newer 8" lid is to big for the oven, same with my older 10". The standard holds 2 qts and the deep holds 2 3/4 qts.

Brandon

Double click on image to enlarge
8 -1.jpg
8-2.jpg
8-3.jpg

Certainly has all the characteristics of a Lodge Camp Oven. Listings I have seen, however, only list a deep 10", 12" and 14"; 5, 8, and 10 qt., respectively. The years they were produced would make one expect that they would have the mid-60s markings including size number, DCO, and "Made In USA" or the later egg logo.

So did lodge not start making "Deep ovens" until the 60s? The lid not being marked is what I have never seen from lodge. I have a Lodge 10 Spider that has no markings on the bottom but the lid is marked 8 and 10in. Was there companies that did knock offs of lodge. An 8 deep seems like a odd one to pick to make a knock off. Sorry for all the questions.

Brandon

From what I have seen, the older ovens with the vertical ears were called country ovens. The ones like these I have seen dated 1965-present. Nowhere have I seen an 8" deep camp oven listed, or not as Lodge anyway. There is an oven similar to this at a nearby flea market I need to take another look at to see if it is like yours. I'm not even sure if it's a deep without seeing it again, but I remember thinking it was Lodge marked and was this size.

Is the top of your deep wider than the shallow, or is the bottom narrower and the lids the same?

The deep measures - top 8 3/8" bottom 7 1/4" and the standard measures - top 8 7/16" bottom 7 1/4". So they are more or less the same. Just more of a tapper on the sides of the standard.

Brandon

Back