Lid sizes and variety

Bob Helland

Hello from a fairly new collector.

I have a few dutch ovens and skillets, and I'm having a very difficult time getting the appropriate lids.

1. Brand new size 10 Lodge DO. Included lid, which (obviously) fits perfectly.

2. Pre-1960 BSR size 10 skillet. No lid, and the Lodge lid does not fit. It's just a bit too big.

3. Very old three-legged, gatemarked DO. No markings except a number '12' on the bottom, and the gatemark. The #10 Lodge lid is VERY CLOSE to fitting this DO, but it's just a bit too small.

I expect quite a bit of inconsistency in these old vintage items, but I have no idea how to identify, nor how to locate these specific lids.

Any information or suggestions anyone have for me?

Thanks so much,

-Bob

BSR lids will have dimples for basting elements rather than projections, making them easy to spot. Older BSR lids I have fit more modern versions of their pans, but I can't say that's true in every case. Size 8 lids are the most common; others will be HTF by varying degrees. Finding lids that fit older, bottom-gated pieces are mostly a matter of luck.

Thanks so much.

So, for the #10 BSR Skillet, I could take a chance and purchase a BSR #10 lid. Sounds like there's a pretty good chance it might fit.

On the older bottom-gated piece, I almost have to take it with me when I'm out hunting. (Or exchange VERY SPECIFIC measurements with a potential seller.)

Thanks again

If certain it's pre-1960, the lids with the dimples in a random distribution should work. Later lids from the DISA-matic era have dimples in a radial pattern, and may be slightly different diameter.
bsr_redmtn__lid.jpg

bsr_century_lid_1960s.jpg

Back