L.E. Nelson Cast Iron

Chris Bennett

Hi all, I have a plet pan that I just stripped down that I am trying to find out any history of the maker L.E. Nelson, stamped on the handle and possible value of the piece. Obvious that it is from the 1800s. Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• D33F42FB-69C3-4731-985B-3DADBB395609.jpeg
    D33F42FB-69C3-4731-985B-3DADBB395609.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 17
  • E38DCAFE-C39A-4DF3-917D-CCB8795C46D6.jpeg
    E38DCAFE-C39A-4DF3-917D-CCB8795C46D6.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 17
  • E57E6A97-F598-4CAF-871D-911E4A235EB7.jpeg
    E57E6A97-F598-4CAF-871D-911E4A235EB7.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 17
The foundry list compiled by Steve Stephens years ago notes this name and only that it was seen on plett pans. The question remains, was Nelson the maker, a jobber like Andresen who contracted with makers like Griswold to produce branded wares, or perhaps a retailer who commissioned plett pans inscribed with their name. Newspaper archives don't reveal anything.

The foundry list compiled by Steve Stephens years ago notes this name and only that it was seen on plett pans. The question remains, was Nelson the maker, a jobber like Andresen who contracted with makers like Griswold to produce branded wares, or perhaps a retailer who commissioned plett pans inscribed with their name. Newspaper archives don't reveal anything.
Good point, certainly has that Griswold look from top and handle. Thanks for the information.

I don't see any Griswold similarities. On their pletts, you can see the outlines of the individual cups on the bottom, sort of like an open frame gem pan that's had the openings between the cups filled in. I'm trying to decide if that's a sprue mark on the bottom. If so, it would be odd the piece didn't have a heat ring to keep it from rocking on the sprue.

I don't see any Griswold similarities. On their pletts, you can see the outlines of the individual cups on the bottom, sort of like an open frame gem pan that's had the openings between the cups filled in. I'm trying to decide if that's a sprue mark on the bottom. If so, it would be odd the piece didn't have a heat ring to keep it from rocking on the sprue.
Bottom not filled in, the base is literally only about 1/8 thick, not much more than that, very unusual. Base is very rudimentary so you could very well be right about the sprue.

Back