Info please on this FBK, marked with a star

JShapiro

Hi, looking for some insight into age, manufacturer, history, value, etc, on this FBK. Approximately 10" across and 7" high. Bottom of lid marked with a star and a 4 with a colon after it. Bottom of kettle marked with a star. Thanks for any help!

Picture here:

The star on both confirms the lid and pot are a match. While the profile of the lid is suggestive of Lodge, there's really no solid evidence that it is (or isn't). If it was Lodge it would likely be early; more modern Lodge FBK have different bail attachments, heat rings and covers with basting elements.

I find Etsy prices to often be as unreasonably inflated as eBay on cast iron. The 7 and 4 are pattern identifiers unrelated to size.

I find Etsy prices to often be as unreasonably inflated as eBay on cast iron. The 7 and 4 are pattern identifiers unrelated to size.
I refuse to buy CI from Etsy.

Etsy-sellers are buying up cast iron pieces at way-too-high-prices, and then trying to sell the items at even HIGHER prices on Etsy. This damages the hobby for collectors. They're just CI scalpers. Hate 'em.

It's a shame, too, because there are a LOT of really nice pieces being scalped on Etsy.

I hope that, in time, the scalpers will realize that they're not making any money off of their CI scalping efforts, they'll try to get out of CI resale, and prices will drop en masse.

Back