Identifying a number 5, 6, 7 and 8

Greg Brinkmann

Hello cast iron friends. This is my first venture to ask for help. At a recent estate sale I purchased and cleaned up 4 cast iron skillets that have great surfaces (top and bottom) but very little in printed ID's. The best I have to go on is the usual pour spout and skillet handle shape distinctives.

A couple of the handles look like the SMS (Southern Mystery Skillets) with the raised / T shaped peak and possible some older Wagners --but I must admit to being a 3rd grader in my learning / experience with cast iron to distinguish - with some assurance -- what each of these might be.

Any help you can offer would be great. Below is a link that I hope provide the pictures that are worth a thousand words.

Many thanks in advance. Greg

No SMS here. No heat rings or small pour lips. The 5 and 7 are Wagners. The 8 with the long handle rib feels like Vollrath, of which some smooth bottoms exist, but the rib is usually more pronounced. In all likelihood, it's also Wagner, just with the rib on the pattern not blended like the others. I don't see a #6.

Thanks Doug. I figured no SMS (because of the lack of a heat ring) but I have seen SMS use that handle pattern - and of course SMS has the raised number on the handle. Sorry for the miss on the #6 pan. I thought it also went at the same time. I go with the Wagner evaluation!! Thanks again.

Back