How To Choose

MCarson

Hello, I'm new here.
My brother has asked for a CI skillet for Christmas. I've done some research and have now decided to go with an early century one.
I've been scouring EBay and found a local person on Craigslist with about 2 dozen skillets and muffin pans from Griswold, Wagner.
I had my eyes set on a #8 (or larger) Gris, slant EPU with heat ring...but have come to the realization that this is going to be a "user" skillet, and not really part of a collection (at this point anyway).
I would like to pick up something from the "good iron" era, but not sure what would fit best in my budget, <$50. WagnerWare sounds like the less-expensive option...

Any recommendations?

For a user, you can't go wrong with most any good or better condition pre-1957 Griswold or Wagner, Favorite, Lodge pre-1960s, or one of several others. The interesting thing about collectible vintage cast iron is that you can actually use it without diminishing its value, unless you abuse or damage it. If the recipient is not interested in collectibility, there are Lodge and BSR to be found at most any flea market or antique store, and, since they are typically unmarked, sell for quite a bit less than similar, name brand marked pieces. See: http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php for how to spot them. Look for smooth cooking surfaces, and inspect for damages as outlined here: http://www.castironcollector.com/damage.php. You can often find a great "user" pan for under $20.

I have to say that the old rusty BSR's that my mom gave me, a #5 and a #8, have cleaned up and are great cookers. I've only been tinkering with cast iron for a few weeks now but I setup a little electrolysis tank and after cleaning those 2 up they are wonderful. I've made a few pies, some biscuits, and lots of eggs in them and they cook very well.
The information I have gathered from this site helps tremendously!

I picked up an unmarked skillet, turned out to be a Lodge #9. I cleaned and seasoned it, and did a trial run with some breakfast sausage, thought it would be nice and fatty. cooked and cleaned up great!
my brother should love it...I'm thinking I want one now. :tasty:

Back