How to Blacken a T-Kettle

RJ Ruchti

Picked up a Cast Iron bottom gate T Kettle the other day. The photos did not show the scratches, or that the lid had a couple coats of black paint. Did not look good at all as a display piece so found a striper that is taking the old paint off to bare iron. Short of engine black paint what would be a good way to blacken it again? Only one I remember was Mothers old metal T Kettle, tin or aluminum. Only markings are the number 7 on the lid and back side of the spout.

Not for sure about it, but you should be able to season the outside just like you would on a skillet. I for one wouldnt paint it,but thats your call.

This one I bought cheep as it had the hinge part of the lid broke off. Got it striped and cleaned up. Lid was clamped together with JB Weld standard and overflow cleaned off with a took pick. Seam hardly shows. JB should stand up to the seasoning process but not sure. It will be a display only piece, probably center of the coffee table. Not sure what I will do from here one. The bare cast in this one don't look the same as a cast iron skiellet is why I was wondering. Looks more like aluminum but way to heavy for that. Thanks for the vote in favor of seasoning Sean. Much appreciated.

Hi RJ Ruchti,

Welcome, I see that you are new so a little tip. If you do a search on the forum you just might find something of interest to address your question or give you some ideas.

So the kettles that I have saved and restored I have always seasoned them just as I would with all my other CI, I do not care to paint them but you do what works for you.

Here are 2 that I restored and are on the forum. Just some eye candy for you.

Good luck, hey put up a photo when you are happy with your work.

Not the best job by far but can always redo it when I learn how. I think that bail is a home made job made from #9 wire,

Attachments

• SAM_1774.JPG
    SAM_1774.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 9
Back