Help With Corrosion

FredW

I have been working on this piece for about 3 weeks, including lye tank, e-tank, and elbow grease using stainless steel brush and scrubber and steel wool every few days. See the before and after photos below. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240328_133641~3.jpg
    20240328_133641~3.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240417_095733~3.jpg
    20240417_095733~3.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 17
I'm surprised you managed to make any progress on it at all. But I doubt you'll get any further with it. Looks like it sat with water in it for quite a while. Or maybe something else to cause that much corrosion. Odd that the inner sidewalls still appear somewhat untouched given how bad the bottom is.

Thx Doug. The outside/bottom of the pan looks just fine. And then the area that cleaned up. I've put it back in a plastic dish pan with a little stronger lye solution. Will leave a week or so. Just paid $6 so no big loss.

If you finally determine there is no collector value, I too would hit it with a sander, season it and call it a user. For $6, you cannot lose.

I cleaned a pan like that with severe pitting on the bottom and nothing wrong with the rest of the pan.
When I started there was a thick crust of burned on crud which apparently held moisture under it causing rust on the bottom but nowhere else.
No idea where it's at now. No doubt at the bottom of the pile...

Back