Griswold lid restoration

RickT

Hi all,
I have a Griswold 8 skillet cover I’d like to restore. I’ve been using a lye tank for pans with good results. I just did a Wagner lid too. However this Griswold lid looks different to my eyes . I think I read something on this forum about a different finish on some lids (lacquer maybe?) and the lye wouldn’t work out well if that is the case. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.
I have attached photos.

Attachments

• E8219BA5-FA59-4454-8BF1-FC4111A70336.jpeg
    E8219BA5-FA59-4454-8BF1-FC4111A70336.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 8ABD6698-C510-4BC7-9016-F46E068BFA0C.jpeg
    8ABD6698-C510-4BC7-9016-F46E068BFA0C.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 18
Some Griswold lids have black enameled interiors, dubbed the "Clean Easy" feature. This one does not appear to have it, as the enamel fills and blurs the markings somewhat. Sometimes that filling-in is mistaken for build-up. What about it made you suspicious?

I didn’t realize it was a black enamel. This lid has more of a gray/bare metal tone to it than say a black pan but I guess that’s probably because the lid is not subject to as much direct food and grease contact as a pan over the years. So I guess the overall patina made me wonder.
Also I believe this lid to be worth a few bucks and I didn’t want to mess it up as I am fairly new to CI restoration. Not a rookie but not real experienced either.

Rick. Don't think you have anything to worry about. Most collectors would love to find a lid in the shape as yours. Not sure about your lye solution nor how long you left it in the lye. I would start by leaving it the solution for about a week. That may make a difference. Scrub really hard with a stainless-steel wire brush and then with some triple zero (000) steel wool. If it still looks somewhat stained, I would use a vinegar and water solution and steel wool again. Most lids I come across look very nice on top and most always rusted on the inside. I always attributed the rust to improper seasoning plus hot steam from what's being cooked will tend to reduce the seasoning and left unattended it will rust.

If the lid did have the black enameled, never put it in lye. Looking at your photo It does not look at all like the black enameled as Doug wrote about. I have had both the black enameled "Clean Easy" lid and the plane cast iron lid, once you see one it you will think it was made in China.

If the lid did have the black enameled, never put it in lye. Looking at your photo It does not look at all like the black enameled as Doug wrote about.
Thanks Jeffrey.
Yeah once the enamel treatment was explained I’m pretty sure this lid was not enameled.

Back