Griswold Cast Aluminum Baking Kettle

MDFraley

Was just wondering if any C.I.C. members has ever replaced a thermometer on the lid (cover) of a Griswold Baking Kettle? If so what was the procedure you used to do so. I recently purchased the complete kettle with rack and three insert cups. First one I have ever seen this complete. Would love to replace the thermometer imbedded in the lid.

I never saw one of these I dont think. Besides the regular WD40 method, I was thinking that graphite might work. It frees up door locks and lubes them up. Its kinda messy but it worked for a few times. This might not work for you, but thats my 2 cents, lol....I got mine at a parts store. I think it helps to not refreeze too. Can you move it at all with pliers or channel locks?

I never saw one of these I dont think. Besides the regular WD40 method, I was thinking that graphite might work. It frees up door locks and lubes them up. Its kinda messy but it worked for a few times. This might not work for you, but thats my 2 cents, lol....I got mine at a parts store. I think it helps to not refreeze too. Can you move it at all with pliers or channel locks?
No movement when asserting pressure on it. I originally thought it was screwed into the lid but looking more closely I believe it was put in with some sort of press. Here is a pic of the top. At some point steam has made its way into the chamber that houses the dial and needle and left a mess of things. May be like looking for a needle in a hay stack Lol.

Decided to chance taking the thermometer out of its housing. Looked like there was a snap ring holding things in place so removed it from the back housing and the entire inside came out with just a shake on it. I removed the interior and cleaned the glass lens and also the face with the dial. Attached is a clean (authentic) Griswold thermometer from 1924 per the markings. It was apparently made by Cooper Gauges specifically for the Griswold A1458 Baking Kettle lid. I haven't researched Cooper Gauges as of this post but doubt that there are ANY gauges still available for replacement. I plan on re-assembling it as best I can and brag about the gauge in particular. Sorry for such a long post but wanted to share this special piece of history with those that collect VERY HARD to find Griswold items.

Back