Griswold 2028 Chicken Fryer with 2098 lid

MCaputo

Hello

I am new to the group and new to the world of cast iron. I recently purchased this Griswold 2028 Chicken Fryer with a 2098 lid.
I am having trouble identifying if it is hammered nickel or hammered chrome. Also can and should it be restored? I want to use it for cooking actually but would like to know more about it before I do that. A fair market value would be nice to know also. Thanks in advance. Glad to be here. I was unable to upload photos because the resolution on my iphone is too high and I am unable to reduce the resolution. Following is a link to a google photo albums with 5 photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/utkqxRw2ZXEJPqFh7

Last edited:
Im of hardly any help on this. Im more into Wapaks, so Im not sure about this chicken fryer. Its VERY nice tho, I dont think I have ever seen a hammered chicken fryer before. I like the handle on this.

Griswold first used nickel then switched to chrome. Wagner only used nickel. Generally speaking, if there's a part you can see your reflection in, it's chrome. As with all "hammered" CI pieces, it's the master pattern that's hammered, and the dimples are ultimately transferred to the casting like any markings would be. As far as restoration, I would concentrate only on the interior, cleaning only with methods that won't scratch, e.g. lye, steel wool, and just apply a seasoning to any bare iron areas. Value will be difficult to assess, as not many hammered bare iron versions come up for sale, let alone chromed.

Back