Grandma's Cast Iron

T Rumley

Hey guys,
I got my grandmother's water or tea kettle's and bean(?) pot cleaned and seasoned, sorry about no before photos and need some help ID'ing and dating if possible. Both kettles have an 8 on lid, one inside a star. One kettle has an 8U on bottom. Both have gate marks.
The bean pot has no markings and no gate mark. The bottom half is a lot smoother than the top half. Above the seam the casting is rough and has raised seams through it.
Thanks for all help and thoughts.
Tim

Hi guys;
Been searching the internet for info on grandma's iron and its very frustrating sorting through all the useless stuff out there. That being said does any one know if John Tyler's book-Early American C I Hollow Ware, the Grey Book might help me find info?
Thanks,

Tim

I do not have the book, and haven't decided whether or not to get it yet. What I have read from those who have indicate it is more a historical perspective of mid-17th thru 19th century iron cookware in general, and only places various characteristics of casting design into timeframes. But, as a reference to identify early makers, no.

Back