Early tin cover

Jeffrey R.

Hi all, I have an early oval cast iron dutch oven with the original tin cover. My question is what is the best way of restoring the tin cover. It looked like it had stove black or paint all over the cast iron and tin cover. The tin cover is cleaned, the dutch oven is cleaned and seasoned.
Photos when completed.

No plating that I can tell. When I picked it up it looked like both the cover and pot had stove black or black paint all over. After I removed both from the lye bath, there was fine rust on the top (outside) of the cover that was under the black coating.

I am thinking that originally, there was never any finnish on the metal cover.

I would think that there had to be something on the lid. They'd have to oil it up to keep it from rusting on its way from the factory to the store.

Most tin lids you see are either enameled or chrome/nickel plated.

If it's all metal (No wood or plastic knobs) you can season it. I would keep oven temps low though.

Couple of items with tin lids that don't seem to have plating on them.

Item 1, Item 2 And another Marietta where you can still see some of the plating holding on for dear life.

I have a oval 4 gal. from Marietta, PA

I wonder how mineral oil would hold up with cooking. Mineral oil will season at a lower temp, but will it hold up to use? (Just on the cover.)

Thank you for the links.

I used mineral oil on the tin cover.]

Gotta ask. Food grade mineral oil? Even though it's just a lid, steam goes up, and steam comes back down (Into the food)

Funny that I found Marietta pots, and that's actually what you had. :shock:
That thing is HUGE. I could cook a LOT of chili in that.

Food Grade. :icon_thumbsup:

A Lot of cooking and eating. :glutton:

I have not put it on the scale as of yet, Heavy it is.

4 gallons of chili in one pot, mighty heavy.:tasty:

In all my years pick-in and antiquing, I have never seen one of these.

The only time I have seen a YouTube is when someone sends me a link. Also I do not do Facebook.
I do not have time, having to much fun picking.

Back