E-Tank Questions

KCopeland

Hello y’all. I’m new to setting up an electrolysis tank, and I am still gathering supplies. What metal do y’all use to suspend the CI in the solution? I know that the anode material matters, but I have not been able to find out much information whether the metal in the wire/screw hook/etc matters.

I am planning on using a 4x4 to support the material used to suspend the CI in a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can.

My friend at the local welding/fabrication shop had some scrap pieces of SS, about ¼" thick and 4" x 6" that I use. Otherwise about any piece of iron will work like rebar, piece of mower blade, etc. Will need cleaning more than SS. I think your 4x4 is overkill and will be hard to handle when getting things in and out of the tank. I use a ¾" square piece of cedar that works great. Just my opinion.

What metal do y’all use to suspend the CI in the solution?
Steel wire, coat hanger wire or S-hooks. You'll want something that will conduct current, as you don't want to submerge your charger clamps in the electrolyte. Otherwise some portion of the handle of the piece being cleaned would have to be above the water line. Depending on crudiness, you may have to wire brush a clean spot on the handle of the piece to make better electrical contact. Some people use clamps such as those for attaching a ground wire to a water pipe, but it will still need to make good metal-to-metal contact. Avoid aluminum.

I use a thin piece of all thread bent with a small (2"?) L shape at the lower end. Then I can securely clamp the skillet between nuts and washers. Hope that makes sense. I use a slightly different setup for suspending bowls/pots.

I have a chain from the floor joist down over the E tank. #12 solid copper from the chain to the item being cleaned. Then hook the negative from the charger to the wire. Several different ways of doing it and most are right.

Back