Dixie Foundry Skillet

Scott J.

I bought a Dixie Foundry Skillet #8 today at an Estate Sale. The info on Dixie on this site indicates stove manufacturing but does not mention skillets. Anyone know when this skillet may have been made? One video I saw noted that the block lettering is similar to Griswold lettering. It has a pseudo heat ring. The side is a smooth radius to a ridge around the bottom but then the remainder of the bottom is slightly recessed from that surface. The cooking surface has numerous pock marks. The remainder of the cooking surface is smooth indicating to me that the pocks are a casting flaw rather than rust. Other Dixie skillets I saw on the internet have similar pocks. There is an "8" on the top of the handle that will show better when cleaned and seasoned. I'll post some "after" pictures once cleaned. Anyone have any more info on Dixie skillets?

Attachments

• Dixie 8 Bottom.jpg
    Dixie 8 Bottom.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Dixie 8 Top.jpg
    Dixie 8 Top.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
I have never heard of them, but that is an awesome skillet. Kinda cool to not know a lot about it, but think of the meals that were made in it over the years!!!

Don't know much about them. I get them every now and then. I get 8's most of the time. I think I've seen them in 7-9 and they make a camp oven also the hard part is finding a decent lid as they Are always rusted through on the edges and can barely read the name. I cleaned one for a lady last year told her if she ever wants to get rid of it let me know.

I have a number 8 in terrific shape. Fully marked, no pitting, smooth cooking surface, sits flat, and has a test screw just above the handle. What stands out to me is how heavy the skillet is. I have read other owners who write that their Dixie skillets are very light. Mine is one of the heaviest skillets I own. Nothing wrong with that, as it is great for baking, but most collectors value lighter weight cast iron.

Back