Crab Stew

M Garner

cooking up some crab stew today in my favorite cast iron pot. I bought this ancient pot at a flea market for 20.00 bucks years ago. I have long since got my money out of it.

cooking up some crab stew today in my favorite cast iron pot. I bought this ancient pot at a flea market for 20.00 bucks years ago. I have long since got my money out of it.

This is off-topic, but do you know the brand of that DO? The

I do not know the brand of this pot, I wish I did. if anyone knows please tell me. I have never seen another one like it. it has no kind of markings at all but it is no doubt very old.

It may possibly be the bottom part of a John C Johnson combo cooker but I couldn't say for sure unless I put my lid on it. It would be the bottom part. There is also a pan that resembles a chicken fryer that goes in the middle and then the skillet lid on top.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

I am guessing John C Johnson because it doesn't have the pour spouts. The Blankenship combo cooker has pour spouts.

I will say this the lid is not for the pot, it came with the pot and looks as old as the pot. what age do ya'll think it is? it looks really old and cooks great! any help will be welcome.

thanks for the info. I thought the pot was older than the 30s but I guess it has been used a good bit. it dose look like a John C Johnson in all the photos I see. thanks for the input! the lid has the same patina as the pot, I don't know enough about it to determine if it is a lodge. but it is all interesting to me.

sure, I use lump crab meat from seafood section of public. about 4 cups. use one can of cream of celery and two cans of cream of mushroom soup, one stick of real butter. fill pot with half and half. if that is to rich for you just use half and half and milk or just milk. I season with salt and pepper and msg. also I will cut up fresh shrimp and add it, if not I will use cooked cocktail shrimp or none at all, it is good either way. simple and easy to make and good!

I believe that's right. The first time I saw the John C Johnson discussed in the forums, somebody commented that it was the original slow cooker/crock pot. Not sure it was the original, but I like the idea.

Back