Columbus Iron Works grill - kinda

JHicks

Hello All
I have a question about what kind of finish to put on an old Hibachi grill I picked up at a local estate sale.

093.jpg 089.jpg 088.jpg

I can not find any identifying marks on it so far.
I have another one that was made by the Columbus Iron Works and that one is in very good condition, think I will put that one away and use this one as an everyday grill.
the cooking grate on this one is in surprisingly good shape, the grill body is very rusted and it almost looks like the previous owner mixed cement in it, the fire grate is shot so I will have to make another one. I can't imagine their could be a replacement part available.
I have the grill body in the electrolysis tank peculating away.
when I get it all stripped and cleaned how do I finish it off? do I treat it like a frying pan and season it in the oven or put something like Stove Black on it or high temp paint?
Of course the cooking grate will be seasoned like any other piece of cast that I would use for cooking.
Just starting out on this cast iron collecting/restoring adventure and what
I learn from this project I will apply to the next.
Thanks
Joe

For the grill that's damaged. I would do one of two things. I'd buy a cheap spot welder if I didn't have access to a regular arc welder. Use some 1/4" and 1/8" round stock and make a new grill.

Or.....

I'd find someone that can 3D model the actual grill from whats left of it, then have it 3D printed on a rapid prototype machine, find a local foundry, and see if they'd pour me a new one, using the 3D print to make a mold.

Back