Collecting Other CI Items

MCarson

Does anyone collect CI items other than the skillet, waffle irons? I recently found a "water bucket" complete with handle that had "Sydney" on the bottom. It looked in good shape, no dings, but was completely orange (rust).

I looked online and saw one, reconditioned, selling for $125, is there really that much demand for them?

Besides skillets and waffle irons, there are griddles, dutch ovens, roasters, muffin and gem pans, bread pans, cake molds, tea pots, bowls, kettles, sauce pans, serving pieces, toys, fruit and lard presses, food choppers, and smoker's paraphernalia that I can think of right off. Then there are enameled and aluminum versions. So yes, just about any cast metal hollow ware that is identifiable or at least able to be placed in a vintage time period as an antique, and is of good quality, can be considered as having collectible value (by someone).

I haven't seen such an item-- some kind of a kettle I presume-- by Sidney Hollow Ware. Do you have a link to what you saw?

Wagner purchased Sidney Hollow Ware for a time in the 1890s in order to expand their capacity and produce a lower priced line of cookware. Some "WAGNER, SIDNEY, O." pieces (their patterns, actually) were "de-branded" to just "SIDNEY", and that may be what you have seen. The Pan Handler has some nice stuff, but her prices are a bit high compared to published values.

Just orange-y dusty rust can often be restored to like-new appearance if it has not gotten to the point of pitting metal. The one you have seen is over 100 years old if marked "SIDNEY" (the town in Ohio, as opposed to Sydney, the city in Australia), and worth picking up if the price and condition otherwise is right.

Back