Cleaning a cast iron skillet that appears to have been painted

Glenn.Riling

A couple days ago I bought what looked like a very old 8 inch skillet from a thrift store. I have treated it with oven cleaner a number of times and while doing this I realized that under all of the burned-on crud was what looks like thick old paint or maybe some other material. The attached photos show the bottom of the skillet as it looked when I got it and how it looks now. I am guessing that the skillet might be a Wagner Sidney one based upon the bottom of the handle but until I get the blue "paint" off I cannot see any writing on the bottom. I am looking for any advice on what I can try to do to remove the covering. I know that the skillet will never be perfect but I would like to get down to bare metal. Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• 20230609_142716.jpg
    20230609_142716.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230611_153538.jpg
    20230611_153538.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 20
Wagner wasn't known to do enameling except on the small skillet ashtrays. If you do encounter a full size Wagner skillet enameled, it was likely done by a third party. The most likely candidates for an enameled skillet in blue would be Vollrath and Favorite, but this handle isn't consistent with Vollrath. If this is larger than a #3, it could very well be unmarked Favorite. Removal would be your choice, of course, but personally I'd leave it.

Thanks for the quick response. I do not ever remember hearing of the Favorite name before. I was just looking at a photo of one of their skillets online and do see a resemblance to the handle on mine. I am leaning towards leaving the blue color on, mostly because i doubt it would be easy to remove. I was hoping there would be writing underneath to confirm the maker. It seems like whatever was done with the coating may have filled in any etched descriptions. There is not a hint of any writing on the bottom the way it is now.

I do own one skillet that I am convinced is a Vollrath and did see similarities of the bottom of the handle to my new item. It is another strange skillet - at least I have found no others like it in my research. 3 photos of it attached. One shows the bottom and two others show the sides. There are scratch marks everywhere. Either someone spent a lot of time after it was made putting on these marks or a mold was made like this aand it was cast this way. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230409_123537.jpg
    20230409_123537.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230409_123528.jpg
    20230409_123528.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230409_123456.jpg
    20230409_123456.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 19
It is Vollrath. The scratches are the result of an ill-advised and overly-aggressive cleaning with a wire wheel whose bristles were too stiff for the task. Key to Vollrath identification are the 90° orientation of the number to the handle and the reinforcement ridge that extends all the way from the skillet sidewall, to the hanging hole on the handle.

They were very thorough with the wire wheel bristles. Good to know how it ended up like this. I actually like it. I only enjoy finding bargains at thrift stores and cleaning them up so it is possible that I never find another Vollrath - at least I have one. As to the painted one I asked about originally I will note that it is possibly a Favorite but will never know for sure. Thanks again.

Back