CI and Amish Friendship Bread, PLEASE HELP ME

Ok guys and gals, I am really frustrated and would love to have some help. I have not had anything stick to my CI in forever, but again I decided another attempt at my Amish Friendship Bread. We were given another deep freeze for Christmas and we recently bought a food saver. So I have been making a lot of things that we can freeze, er cetera.

Anyway, day 10 finally came around and I followed my recipe just as I've done hundreds of times, but I decided ONCE AGAIN I was going to use my lodge loaf pans instead of the regular ones.

The smell was heavenly......pulled them out scraped the sides of the as I always have went to place them on the cooling rack and sure enough, they had stuck to the bottom.

Yes, the loaves were heavily greased and then sugared. But still no luck.

Anyone care to shed some opinion/ thought/ insight? Is this just a recipe not made for CI? Have another batch going but I hate to waste half a loaf from it sticking.

Thanks,

Joseph

Joseph, I'm not familiar with that type of bread, when you say "sugared" do you mean you sprinkle sugar in them before pouring the batter in? If so, could it be the sugar is mixing with the hot oil and caramelizing into a glue-like substance? Also, I'm assuming you are pre-heating the loaf pan before putting the batter in. Is that correct?

The sugar is getting to the iron. Heat the bread pans to about 300 - 350° with a coat of oil for it to polymerize. Let cool a bit before adding the bread. The bottom/inside of the pans need some seasoning/polymerization to keep the sugar from getting to the iron.

Hilditch

Ok, but how will i then add the sugar to the loaf pans if the oil is preheated? I usually always always preheat my CI when I am baking in them, but due to this recipe I don't because you are to add the bread "to two well greased and sugared loaf pans". The recipe is a lot of work for me to end up wasting 1/4 of a loaf because it sticks so bad.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Joseph, I'm not familiar with that type of bread, when you say "sugared" do you mean you sprinkle sugar in them before pouring the batter in? If so, could it be the sugar is mixing with the hot oil and caramelizing into a glue-like substance? Also, I'm assuming you are pre-heating the loaf pan before putting the batter in. Is that correct?

No, the pans can't be preheated because in order to bake them properly you grease the inside of the loaf pans, then coat the grease in the sugar, then pour in the batter, and bake.

Dinner called.

A two step process. First the barrier between the cast iron and the sugar. Three choices; seasoning, polymerized oil or paper.

Let cool.

Then add your Crisco, sugar and batter.

Hilditch

I get some polymerization in my egg pans with just taking them up to temp. for a minute but I'm not playing with sugar being baked for a while. I'd probably try 10 or 15 minutes at temp & pray. Be sure to let the loaf cool an shrink completely before trying to remove. It may bust itself lose where there is some sticking if it does not want to fall right out. Actual seasoning will end up being your best bet but I know that a lot of folks put a piece of paper in the bottom for fruit pies, upside down cakes, etc when their seasoning is questionable.

Hilditch

I wasn't familiar with this type of bread either so I read a few recipes to get an idea. Without pictures on what it looks like coming out I'm just guessing. I know pineapple upside down cake seems similar but with brown sugar and butter and can be done in CI skillet with no problems.

I think the pre-heat idea sounds good and maybe add a tablespoon or two of butter a couple of minutes before it comes out to melt in a non greased pan. Rotate around pan and sides, pour off excess for something else then dust it with sugar. Add bread and bake.

Let us know what you come up with and a picture or two.

Steve,

Ok, here is a question, do you think it possible that I'm just not
Letting the bread cool enough before removing the bread? I bought a brand new set of oxo loaf pans, first two batches were good. Then, started sticking to the bottom. I was rushing the bread and not letting it cook. 10 days ago I made it and let it sit for about 1 hr, slid right out with no problems.

Joseph, I have not cooked bread in CI, but I would think you'd need to let it cool much longer in CI than in, say, aluminum, due to the heat retention factor. Why rush? Bread is s-l-o-w food.....

(PS--All the bread I've cooked calls for a greased and floured pan, so please feel free ignore my input!). :chuckle:

Yeah, personally I believe it is just me not allowing the bread to cool enough before attempting to remove it. I have made zucchini bread in the cast iron and it come out just fine; and it has the same outside I.e. Grease and sugar. I will attempt it on my next batch and see what happens. I will be certainly let everyone know what happens.

Back