Can anyone identify these small kettles?

Charles_Cox

I picked up this Griswold #8 Baster at an estate sale. The glass lid that came with it is not a Griswold, it's a Pyrex, so I know it's not part of the set. These 4 little cast aluminum kettles also came with it and I've never seen anything like them before. Does anyone recognize these? I would also appreciate any input on when the Baster was produced. It has the aluminum trivet with it.

Attachments

• Griswold 2a.jpg
    Griswold 2a.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Griswold 1c.jpg
    Griswold 1c.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 24
There was a time when Wagner sold DOs with Pyrex glass covers. It's possible Griswold did the same, but no proof like https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/threads/glass-do-lid-original.8991/post-52162 That cover pre-dates the late 1940s, so it's not impossible it was at least obtained contemporaneously with the pot, as Griswold DOs back then were sold with and without covers.

The kettles are toys. Footed kettles that small would not be practical for use over a fire or a hearth.

Thank you. That's very informative. That may also explain why the lid fits perfectly. My first thought with the little kettles was that they may be for steaming separate foods in the Dutch oven.

On the Pyrex lid it has Pyrex on one side and D-K 6 2 6 C on the other. I noticed that the lid is shaped like the one in the Wagner picture in the other thread.

Attachments

• Griswold Pyrex1.jpg
    Griswold Pyrex1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 5
That would indicate the lid is standard for a 3qt. Pyrex casserole, and that it was not specifically made to fit the DO. Does not eliminate the possibility that it came with the DO, either. Lids of this type were produced 1915-1948.

Back