Can a piece be beyond restoration?

MitchellC

I picked up an Chamberlain & Co tea kettle that is heavily rusted on the inside. I’ve already put it through the lye bath and it’s been in the electrolysis tank for a few hours now. All the rust on the outside is off, but the inside appears the same as when I put it in. Can such heavy rust be impervious to electrolysis?

Last edited:
Electrolysis works by line if sight, so getting the inside of items can be difficult. Look up reverse electrolysis. Basically you suspend the anode inside the piece to be cleaned and reverse the polarity of your charger. I hope that makes sense.

Im pretty sure that rust ca be so bad that its hopeless to try and fix. My neighbor has 3 skillets, rusted together BAD. No clue what kind they are but they have been laying outide for years. I dont think anyone could even begin to fix them.

Might trying to fill the inside with a vinegar and water solution...maybe 50/50 and let it set for about a day. It should diminish the rust quite a bit but maybe not completely. It will also take some labor on your part to scrub it with a scouring pad while the solution is still in it then rinse thoroughly. Good luck. BTW. Use rubber gloves.

Back