Camarones a la Diabla!

Bonnie Scott

Are Chili's too acidic for cast iron? I have been craving this and want to try making it at home. I'd like to use my #12 skillet but don't want to take a chance of stripping my seasoning layer. Should I go with the stainless steel skillet instead?

Knowing what some chilis do to your mouth and what else, I would go with the Stainless Steel skillet.

A little side note. So being tied down with this Covid 19 no travel last winter and not knowing when it would end I ordered and grew 23 different peppers. So yes I know a little about chilis. Heck I was probably the only one to grow Sandia Chilis in the cold north. Boy are they good.

You would think being in Arizona I would know more about Chili's. I think I will use the stainless steel. I saw another recipe that called for a can of chipotle in adobo sauce, that has vinegar in it so even more acidic. I can't recall which dish I first made that leached all the seasoning into the food but it ended up in the trash. I think all these new restrictions have forced me to become a better cook. Maybe this spring I will plant some more chilies. It's been a couple years since I have grown them.

Side note: I'm after that fifth trophy. LOL

At the prices of shrimp, yes I would go the SS rout. unless you like feeding the trash.

Maybe you should grow some Carolina Reapers. I heard that they are HOT, as for myself I sold them.

Skip the fifth trophy, when do we get paid?

IMO, I wouldn't think the short cook time needed for the shrimp & sauce and a quick soak for cleaning would strip seasoning in a cast iron pan.

Camarones a la Diabla over white rice is one of my favorite dishes, I really like to use chipotle peppers in my version as I like the the slight smokiness.

Back