BSR 6 Slice CBS Roughness

Chris.E

Just curious… are the six slice CBS’s typically rougher casting than the 8 slice? Picked one up at the flea this weekend and it’s just feels substantially grittier than its big brothers of the same era (mainly on the interior). Looking at others online it appears that may be the case. Didn’t notice until it came out of the lye/ e tank dip. Maybe someone before me had it in vinegar for too long…

21C2E85A-DB70-4C54-B2C8-E71B8146B495.jpeg3FEB49E6-C692-41A9-8592-1FDAB99085DE.jpeg

There's no reason for them to be different, from a manufacturing standpoint, unless the sand formulation used in the molding process was changed between the time each was made. Neither would have been machine polished, only tumbled to reduce a degree of roughness. All, in both sizes, would have been made after the move to the DISA automatic molding machines.

I have two of these. Even though they were not ground/polished at the factory. One of mine is rougher than the other one. I realize it could have left the factory rougher. But I believe it just suffered more neglect at some point in its journey.

Back