books on cast iron

KevM

hello, I see reference to blue and red books. are these like the bible for cast iron reference? are there any other good books? if there was one or a few must have books what would they be?

The BB and RB are considered fairly essential. The Haussler Griswold muffin pan book is also good for that segment of cast iron collectibles. There aren't too many others, at least not currently in print. The Harned book was an earlier collector guide, and there are some published by L-W, but they are not up to date, really. Even the red book has not been updated in years, but is still considered a valuable resource. And, although a new edition of the blue book came out last year, some would say it wasn't too much of an update. Still worth having, though, and probably the first to obtain if you're only going to get one at a time.

http://www.castironcollector.com/resources.php

The Book of Griswold and Wagner (blue) and The Book of Wagner and Griswold (red) are the only two that might be considered a MUST. I'd recommend the blue book if you only want one even if Wagner is your primary interest. Both books have lots on both Wagner and Griswold with not much repeat info plus each contains short chapters on other makers. Very good books to have and refer to often. I'd say to buy both blue and red.

Back