Best places to buy? Help a new collector!

JHanthorn

Ok collectors! eBay seems pretty expensive and everything has been refinished. Where is a good place to buy antique cast iron if I want to start restoring it? I’ve been looking in some antique stores but have not seen much… would love to hear some tips from the experienced hunters out there. I’m interested in starting a collection of griswold cast iron with the slant logo and Erie marking. I have the size 8 skillet but would like to find and restore a larger size. Thanks all.

I would start with the guidelines on this site:

Yard sales, estate sells,, local newspaper, antique malls, internet, flea markets, ect. I go to a local antique shop that has CI in bad shape, just in a pile on the floor. I love it cause it gives me something to restore, so I can see why you want to do it too. Oh, and Family, friends, coworkers......the fun is in the hunt!

Thank you! I’ve now found a few Facebook groups and just was able to get an unrestored griswold #9 slant logo skillet with heat ring for $50. Do you think this was a good price? It’s diffficult for me to figure out pricing for unrestored since everything I see on eBay/etc is fully restored.

A good price, but the downside being the possibility of concealed damage on an unrestored pan. And the lack of buyer protections on a FB transaction.

Back