Anybody else like using a dutch oven lid as a drip pan and flywheel?

Im sorry, but Im totally lost. Youre talking about cooking, but what does flywheel mean? Cars have them, lol......like I said, im curious.

I was experimenting with "string roasting" by hanging a bird next to the fire on a string. You give it a twist and it spins one way, stops, and spins the other way.

I was using the lid to catch the drippings, but once all that mass got spinning g it didn't want to stop.

I was amazed how well it worked. A self turning vertical rotisserie.

I've seen that string thing on either Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire or Project Smoke. Looks interesting but I don't have the rest of the setup to try it.

I watched it now, I wasnt home when I posted. Thats a cool way to cook, kinda like the metal balls on strings that bounce back and forth, and never stop til you stop them. I forget what they are called.....thats an awesome way to cook.

I was experimenting with "string roasting" by hanging a bird next to the fire on a string. You give it a twist and it spins one way, stops, and spins the other way.

I was using the lid to catch the drippings, but once all that mass got spinning g it didn't want to stop.

I was amazed how well it worked. A self turning vertical rotisserie.
I've seen pictures of this in old literature but don't have the set up to try it myself... seems reasonable, especially if you don't have a 'kitchen dog' on a treadmill. It seems like in some of the pics there was something like a reflector screen that was curved to direct heat from the coals toward whatever was being roasted.

A reflector would have saved lots of time. Nect time I'm hanging it from the crane so it can be moved closer to the fire.

A reflector would have saved lots of time. Nect time I'm hanging it from the crane so it can be moved closer to the fire.
there are pics in the book '300 years of kitchen collectibles'... they refer to them as 'meat screen' or a 'tin kitchen'... some of them seem to have their own rotating spit built inside the 'meat screen'... and from the pics it seems like they were set with the open side facing the fire... collecting the heat... one pic has a door on the back side for the cook to check the meat (since it isn't see through and the screen is between the cook and the meat and fire) or baste it

Back