After 4 rounds of seasoning, getting a chestnut color.

Richard M.

After using lye tank for stripping skillets, cleaned, washed, 4 rounds of buzzywax at 480 still getting chestnut color. Is this normal?

Thank you for your reply.
My question is some of the wapak skillets I've purchased have a flat gray finish which I think looks very impressive. How is this achieved?

Not familiar with that being something associated with Wapaks. Need a photo. Wire wheel, sandblasting, non-organic seasoning oil are possibilities, the first two being destructive of collectible value.

Yeah, I collect Wapaks, and I havent really noticed a difference in color, unless it bare metal of course. I use Crisco for seasoning, then PAM in between uses. Seems to work for me. Come to think of it, I have a #8 that is an different color, and its SLICK! Its not plated, but its just different. Hope you enjoy your Wapaks!

Thanks Sean D.
I have complete set of Wapak skillets, #3-14 Wouldn't buy any other.
Still trying different types of seasoning processes and Temps. If you find any different ways, let me know. Thanks

Thats awesome! I have a set too...the 14 was the hardest to get in good shape. I have DOs and Griddles too, and sad irons 1 thru 8, but missing the 6 and 4.....anyone that collects Wapaks is a good person in my book, lol......keep on looking! I have used bacon grease to season, but only if its a user, as it may go rancid. Besides that I use Crisco. Lay it on thick, then TRY to take it all back off, then heat her up. 400 to 500 is good for about 30 mins.

Thanks Doug, my #14 took a while to find. It is in pristine condition, a jewel to my collection.
Have you ever tried canola oil, grapeseed oil, buzzywax?

Thats awesome. I dont have one of those, but I like them for being kinda rare. I always wondered why they made them tho...Im glad they did, but was it a 1 year thing? All of my sad irons have the chicken foot, but Ive never seen one that doesnt. Wait I take that back.....saw a #16 I think one ebay. It had a twisted handle. I liked it!

I've recently switched to grapeseed oil for initial seasoning and find it gets to the desirable black tone after 3 rounds or so. But the only way, in my experience, to get the absolute pitch black is through use - like frequent use for 2-3 years at least.

No, just as Doug D. stated. Fact is my eTank is an retired Stainless Steel maple syrup barrel with Lye as my electrolyte. Never had any issues.

Back