A couple oldies

Karl R

Picked up a a scotch bowl and… what I imagine to be a stock pot for a wood stove. Worn, but nice nonetheless. Been wondering how to season that stockpot with the wooden handle. Maybe put it in the oven with the door cracked open so it doesn’t incinerate.
BE7423A3-0F83-4E78-A584-801AB8373046.jpeg36306911-DFB7-4B81-981A-7C7B0F710E42.jpegF1DF54B7-F5F1-41A5-B027-D1A2042D08A5.jpeg

If you did not know, your "stockpot" Is called an Eccentric Kettle. The lower part of the kettle sits down into the eye of the cook stove. You have what I call an off-set Eccentric Kettle, meaning that the lower portion of the kettle that sits into the eye is off-set to one side. Once in the eye you can turn the wider part to the outside edge of the stove top as to give you a little more room for other kettles of what ever. They also made Eccentric Pots that were Bulged in the center that took up a little more room than your kettle.

As for the handle. They make a fire proof fabric that plumbers (some) use. wrap the wood with a damp cloth then wrap with the fire proof fabric and attach with some metal wire. Watch your heat and how long you are seasoning. Good Luck

The kettle has what is known as a pit bottom. If the pit bottom is off set, it is called an eccentric kettle; if centered, it's merely referred to as a pit bottom kettle.

eccentric, adj. 2. (of a thing) not placed centrally or not having its axis or other part placed centrally.

Thanks, guys! I’ve never come across one. I plan to use it if I can clean it throughly. Has a bit of a rust on the inside about 2/3 of the way up. I scrubbed the hell out of it, but… still rust when I rinse it. Part of me says, a little iron might be good for me… but I better scrub some more.

Back