#9 questions

Thomas C.

Hello all. I picked up this skillet over the weekend… Two questions. 1) the picture with the handle attach location to skillet. Best guess as a second or repair ? Would this be a concern for use ?2) any thoughts on manufacturer ? There is a #9 on top handle and a small 1 as a makers mark near handle on bottom of skillet. I do not see any other references on bottom. I do have some rust to get off, but I’m not holding out to much hope. Diameter is 11 3/8. Open for comments and other thoughts from those more knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.

IxTl25H.jpeg

y6yxPW7.jpeg

LTYaiXu.jpeg

el7Ruhx.jpeg

Looks like whatever was used for the pattern was broken and repaired. There's really no welding iron with iron. An actual manufacturer wouldn't have done this.

Thanks for the comments. I didn’t expect good news. Bought it from auction with others. Overall… 2 BSRs, a Sidney and this one. I’m more than good across the lot. Most importantly, don’t want to invest the time in cleaning up. Thanks

Back in the day it was not uncommon to use an older broken / damaged piece as a pattern for a mold, as Doug D. has stated. I have had a few pieces in the past that you can clearly see the Ghost Marks of the broken / damaged parts and, not show any real damage on the new piece.

You might be interested in this. https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/threads/crack-or-not.8737/#post-51002

Your 3rd photo shows the welding, along with a crack that would be clearly seen on the inside sidewall if if is / was the original piece. Look and feel the inside wall for a crack, if you do not find / see one it just may be as Doug D. stated.

I have seen and know a welder that can make a repair look like the piece was never repaired.

My Vote is to put it into the eTank and learn what you can.

Back