17th Century Cauldron Use

Just something to share--I bought a copy of a book about historical cooking practices and recipes from the 17th century. That's the 1600's. In it there's a drawing of a large cauldron filled with water, with a smaller cauldron containing food sitting in the water inside of the larger one, and a mesh type bag and other items also in the water in the large cauldron, so the food could be boiled at the same time without mixing some of the food items with each other. It says that this was a common way of cooking at that time. You may already know this, but I found it interesting, and it will be fun to try a few of those old recipes.

Thats very interesting to say the least. I love old stuff, but my heart is with CI and our forefathers. Tough life but they made it.

It also says that they used to use a lot of nutmeg before sugar started becoming common and coming in via trade, so I ordered a half pound of nutmeg and a nutmeg grater.

Using old recipes in old cast iron makes it even more fun, even if the recipes are older than the cast iron. Are there any cast iron cauldrons or pieces from the 1600's still out there? Not looking to buy any--just curious.

Last edited:
Check out YouTube. There is a cooking show on there that shows how they cooked in the !800s. Its very cool, and the lady uses a LOT of CI ive never seen. Its an awesome show. Its silent tho, so some may find it boring. I just type in 1800s cooking, itll take you right to it.

Back