griswold

1. J

stripping advice

hi all! n00b here. i have this lovely griswold from my grandmother-in-law. looks like maybe the decades of seasoning has chipped off, but i'm not exactly sure. pix attached (back so you can confirm the model). thoughts on easiest way to bring her back to life? not sure if i can just re-stack the...
  2. J

Griswold #1 Cast Iron Pot (Toy / Salesman Sample?)

Hi ya'll! First I'd love to say I'm a huge cast iron fan and take good pair of my beauties and use them all the time, love that there is this forum and website here for info. I picked up this little cutie at a neighborhood yard sale, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on some...
  3. J

Is this worth restoring?

Yes, another online sale that was too good to be true. I got this Griswold slant logo 9 for what I *thought* was a good price, but I didn’t ask about warping nor did I look for specific pictures where they prove that it’s not warped. Newbie mistake. And so… there is a warp in the center of the...
  4. M

Wagner vs. Griswold waffle iron?

I have a Wagner 1408 waffle iron. I’d like to know your guys’ opinion of a waffle iron like mine where the paddles do not interlock at the ball joint vs a Griswold with paddles that do interlock at the ball joint.
  5. E

Wondering if Griswold came from foundry with slightly domed cooking surface?

Most of the time when we talk about flatness (or lack there of) of a skillet, we think of a downward sag, often leading to them being "spinners" and such. All of the Wagner's I have tried (smooth bottom and heat ring included) have been like this... which is why I currently stick with Wagner's...
  6. E

Hello from Oregon

Hello, Excited to join this community! I started using cast iron cookware in 2010, with a Lodge Combo Cooker (chicken fryer and skillet where they are lids for each other). Took me awhile to get the hang of using and taking care of it. I learned later that vintage skillets are much lighter and...
  7. J

#7 Griswold Waffle Iron

Got a Griswold American #7 Waffle Iron (no base) from parents. Very good shape, just need cleaned up and re-seasoned. Bottom says: AMERICAN No. 7 PATT. No. 140' Has standard cross emblem in center surrounded by 2 circular ridges and GRISWOLD across middle. THE GRISWOLD MFG. CO. ERIE, PA...
  8. R

Griswold Hammered Skillet with Hinged Lid

Hi all. First post here. I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and learning about cast iron. I've got newer lodge skillet and flat round griddle. I was helping clean up my parents place and found this old Griswold. Based on what I've learned here, I got a 20 gal. trash can and some lye and...
  9. J

Question About a '55 C' Square Griswold Skillet

Hello all, I acquired the following Griswold square skillet. It is marked with '55 C' on the back and I find it unusually smooth (I have limited experience in this) on the outside. It is as big as a #8 Wagner skillet. https://imgur.com/a/sgx9biV The outside is actually smoother than the...
  10. E

Griswold Identification/help?

Hi! Found some Griswolds that I’m happy to season and cook with. If you have any thoughts on dates I’d love to learn more about them. One is a Griswold No. 3 with the logo and Erie, PA underneath, as well as 709 E. The logo letters are uniform Block capitals. The second is a Griswold No. 8...
  11. S

Requesting Book Suggestion to ID Griswold

Newly cast member of the CIC forum, recently bitten by the cast iron bug, my first-ever post. I purchased four of what I hope are genuine Griswold skillets last weekend. They are labeled #5, 6, 8, and 9. The 6, 8, and 9 all have the Erie, PA designation, the 5 either doesn't have it or it is...
  12. N

First dish...shrimp scampi

I made shrimp scampi as the first dish in my newly restored number 7 Griswold skillet. I've been afraid to use my grandfather's pans but after all, weren't they made to be used? With all the rust and black carbonized grease removed it was begging for some action.
  13. D

What do I do with this?

I found this at an estate sale this morning for I hope not too much money. I have never seen the plated Griswolds up close and personal before. Is the plating on the inside worn off or were they plated less than the outside? Is it in good, fair or poor condition? It almost looks like unseasoned...
  14. N

Grandpa's pans

Greetings! I recently received several cast iron pieces that my grandfather had from his mother. They are various Griswold items. Should these older pans be treated differently than the pans of today? I want to care for them properly.
  15. N

What to do with a pan when the handle breaks off

Hey gang, About 6 months ago I won a beautiful Griswold big logo #11 pan online. I was over the moon with excitement as this is a very rare pan. If you're a collector you know that 2's, 11's and 13's are the unicorns of the cast iron world. I followed the shipping updates and was so excited...
  16. N

Before & After

Picked these up at a local flea market. Cleaned with electrolysis.
  17. J

Fresh S.R. & Co Wheat pan Find

I just found this pan today at a local antique shop .. I found out it is a Griswold made for Sears & Roebuck ... I bought it and a Wagner Crusty Corn Junior patent 1920 pan along with what I believe is a Lodge unmarked Turks Head Pan all for $25. I thought this was a steal ...
  18. R

I did good this week too! (Photo & another story..)

This is my haul from last Sunday's flea market, and a couple thrift stores this week. Flea Market Within' about 5 minutes of getting to the flea market I already had a No.8 & 5 skillet in my backpack. Within 30 minutes I had those plus the large square skillet, and on the way out I had all...
  19. J

Pretty In Pink...

.... or "Flamingo Red"-- close enough :icon_thumbsup: https://plus.google.com/112296790657594337527/posts/VTCvQQvhNQL Thought you would get a kick out of my recent find, my first enameled Griswold skillet. Cream interior/ flamingo red exterior. In very nice condition, very slight wear on the...
  20. L

Griswold Aluminum Hammered 3 Quart Sauce Pan A2143 and Lid A2143C

I sure seem to be coming across some nice aluminum pieces. Found this today although I haven't bought. Thinking about it though. Heck of a price on it. Physically it looks great although it could use a good cleaning. The knob for the lid and the handle don't look they can be removed which would...
Back