P&W skillet and more..

MikeZ

On 11/29 I posted some pictures of an unmarked skillet with what I consider to be a pretty classy handle, noting that it looked like a Highland Foundry of Boston make. This from pictures on Steve Stephen's Early Skillets blog.

I've had a skillet marked P&W and 7&8 for some time and finally looked at this site's foundry database to see that it might be a Pratt & Wentworth of Boston make. Looking into this a little deeper, it appears this company was in business in the later 1860s and turned into the Highland Foundry at some point. Last week, I picked up another P&W skillet. The size marking is pretty much obscured with sulphur pitting, but my size 7&8 fits into it.

Pretty neat to find two generations of skillets with their history, here in the dark woods of central Maine.

In chasing this down, I came across a site on Pinterest: "Fancy to Ornate Cast Iron Skillet Handles" by a Scott Price, along with other pictures of cast items. This may all be common knowledge to many of you, but it was all news to me.

Hope that you're all looking forward to a new year of exciting finds!

Attachments

• P&W bottom.jpg
    P&W bottom.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P&W top.jpg
    P&W top.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 78
Yep. They were discussed here before.

http://castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2812&highlight=pratt

attachment.php

Hi Mike, here is my P & W that I have in my kitchen. I am thinking Pratt & Wentworth of Boston. You might have the same one as mine, 9 & 8.

I have seen Scott Price on Pinterest, he has some nice pieces.

On a side note, guess what I found in the dark woods of Maine? Hint W.B.

P%252526W_9428.jpg

P%252526W_9431.jpg

Back