American Brass & Iron

Bonnie Scott

Because I live in the west I thought I might stumble across an American Brass and Iron pan while hunting. I can't seem to locate a photo of one anywhere. I looked in the collectors section of this site and tried to google it but no luck finding it. Does anyone here have a photo of one?

Here's my smooth bottom #15. I'm uploading every photo I've got just for you. My cell phone data sucks here, so it might take until tomorrow morning for them to show up. You'll see some before/in-progress photos (no "after" since I'm not done yet!)

Gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101917176603297073384/ABI15SkilletSmoothBottom

I just got the pan a couple weeks ago and I love it! Unfortunately I killed the seasoning because I only did a few coats before cooking in it, and my tomato sauce leaked off the edge of my pizza. (You can see the crust + cheese of the killer pizza in one or two photos)

The casting on the outside is SUPER rough. It chews through my paper towels like crazy when I try to season it. If the side walls had been machined, this pan would be perfect. I'm honestly considering visiting AB&I and seeing they'd do it for me.

CameraZOOM-20150207060400769.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty, I spotted one of these while out CI hunting yesterday. These pans and their lids seem to me to be much heavier than others. I thought the lid was especially heavy. The store I saw it at was asking $50 for this same DO with lid, I didn't get it. Your DO looks really nice.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

I just looked at your slideshow and realized it was a pan. The handles on the DO have that same markings so I thought the thumbnail picture was a DO. You sure did a fine job shining up that pan.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Again I thank you for sharing these pictures. I think from now on I will be able to spot this one under layers of crud just based on the handle shape.

No kidding - this thing is a heavy beast. I think it works out well for deep dish pizza since the high mass keeps the heat in the par-baked crust while I load it up with toppings.

I didn't know they made DO's too. Is you see it again please post some pics!

But yeah, the handles are a total giveaway. Here's a couple shots of the other end, for anyone lazy to check out my album.
https%25253A%25252F%25252Flh6.googleusercontent.com%25252Fau2uBcN_6BpsqQG-M1p29GJ6S6rXbcvIEhHBdhd4UBbm%25253Ds0-d.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150207030826051.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. The pics kinda show before and after, but I'm just going to strip this thing and start over.

I think the pizza sauce ate at my seasoning. I assumed I'd have to strip it to get rid of the discoloration going halfway up the pan. Do you think I can just season over it as-is and it'll go away?

CameraZOOM-20150212120653860.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150212122136692.jpg

Back