Unusual Markings on BSR #5?

JBPoole

Picked up a BSR #5 with the following markings at 6 o'clock:

Bx

The B is very crude with a "hand drawn" look. The X is smaller with a "Roman font."

Any thoughts?

The older ones are often marked that way, crudely, with irregular placement. There are even some with the marks like that at 12 instead of the usual 6 o'clock.

Does it have the larger (pre-automation) pour spouts?
Just curious. I have a BSR "5 S" that I call "early Red Mountain"... because it is obviously from a different period/process of manufacturing. It has larger pour spouts, the crudely incised markings, and the 5 and S are separated by a space... positioned at like 5:40 and 6:20... space at true 6 o'clock. The "5 S" is smaller than a typical size 5... more like a 4 I guess.

I have 3 BSR #5 skillets marked as follows:

Bx

5.H.

NO. 5
8 1/8 IN.

The pour spouts get progressively smaller.

I also have a BSR #3 crudely marked with 3 at about 7 o'clock and S at about 5 o'clock.

Anyone know when automation started?

Jay, I had not planned on selling the #3, but I will am always looking for CI. Maybe I can find one for you.

I have toyed with idea of having a swap meet in the GA/SC area, maybe around Atlanta. It might be a good opportunity to buy/sell/trade some CI.

Perhaps some experts could help me identify some of my UFOs...:grin:

I was only kidding. 😄
I'm sure I will find one in the B'ham area eventually.
If you ever plan a meet in Atlanta, count me in!

I'm thinking this is a BSR 7 that I picked up recently but just can't be sure a nice pan but a little heavy

Attachments

• DSC00646.jpg
    DSC00646.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 39
KenK, that handle design with the distinctive ridge below (that doesn't flatten out before it meets the sidewall) as well as the "scooped out" area on the bottom side of the hole are sure signs of BSR pieces. Once you've picked up a few, you'll know them by feel of the handle as well as that heavy weight you mentioned... I don't even have to flip one over to know it's BSR... but I see a lot where I'm located. ;)

The other notable things about your pan are the larger (proportionally speaking) pour spouts and the crude number marking that indicate it is earlier in the "Red Mountain" series. These are the signs of "pre-automation" that was mentioned previously. It's a very nice skillet, and should have a very smooth cooking surface.

Actually, that numeral 7 is pretty well done compared to the norm on those older ones.

It is a very nice looking "7"... which I assume is easier to draw by hand than an 8... those always look a little asymmetrical on the ones I've seen. Doug, you would agree that this 7 in question isn't stamped, but done by hand, correct?

Took the #5 out of the e-tank tonight. Very nice finish; slick cooking surface. I am really happy with this southern skillet. :razz:

It is a very nice looking "7"... which I assume is easier to draw by hand than an 8... those always look a little asymmetrical on the ones I've seen. Doug, you would agree that this 7 in question isn't stamped, but done by hand, correct?
Most likely. Stamped (in the pattern) markings are usually on the smaller side and seen on later pieces than those inscribed by hand. Along with BSR Century (obviously), later Wagner TMs and c/ns, and SBL Griswolds have the appearance of having been stamped into the patterns rather than carved.

Thanks for the reply, Doug. Good info as always!

I hate to stray too far from the original topic here and hijack the dialogue, but based on what your are saying, am I understanding that LBL Griswolds and earlier Wager logos are supposedly hand carved into some of the original patterns...?

That seems incredibly labor intensive and makes those pieces seem that much more like works of art. I would have thought any easily repeatable feature (i.e. logos and size numbers) would have been produced by hand only a few times and thereafter stamped into whatever followed.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Take any grouping of, say, pre-WWII pieces and compare the trademarks and other inscriptions. There will be minor variations in each which confirm the markings were not completely mechanically reproduced.

Back