Griswold blue book prices vs ebay selling prices

D_Ferrari

Has CI (especially the griswold) gone up that much since the last publishing of the book, or is it the time of year. Seems like most things are going for about twice the book price. (Or is it that the book prices aren't reflective of ebay selling prices at all?)

When I find similar items on specialty CI selling sites, they're even more expensive.

The prices given in the latest revision of the BB don't seem to be all that much different from previous editions. How realistic they are depends on your point of view. The only eBay prices one should rely on as a determination of current market value are those of pieces that actually sold (as opposed to asking prices or completed auctions that did not result in a sale). I would agree that prevailing eBay prices have increased in the last five years. I recently gave $50 locally for a piece that I thought should be the most I would consider paying for it. A subsequent check of eBay told me I had paid about $100 less than the current average.

I am at a loss to explain the thinking of those sites directly offering CI for sale at exorbitant prices, or what they base those prices upon ($50 plus $10 shipping for an unmarked, thought to be Lodge trivet, or an admittedly cracked skillet, for example). I guess P.T. Barnum was right, after all.

Thanks, I had been researching ebay sold prices before I started buying anything. Even the local craigs list offerings I found were pretty steep. I bought some items that took me quite a while to get at what I was willing to pay, but since I'm only starting, and was looking mainly for usable items, I had to in some instances go for brands that weren't selling for car-payment prices :)

I've bought and sold lots of things on Ebay, and it always amazes me what people ask for items. Some people find what they believe is a collectible and suddenly they see gold. Same thing with the flea market vendors. I also see people paying well over retail for items easily available--unless you live in the boondocks of Idaho, Montana, Alaska, etc. They hear or read about something and see one for sale and then buy it at an exorbitant price. Or, come into possession of an item and think it's "priceless." Luckily, I've still got a few brain cells left and have no great need for their things. I always sell at a reasonable price, and will pay a reasonable price. The only thing I'm into collecting is pension checks!!:D:D

I've bought and sold lots of things on Ebay, and it always amazes me what people ask for items. Some people find what they believe is a collectible and suddenly they see gold. Same thing with the flea market vendors. I also see people paying well over retail for items easily available--unless you live in the boondocks of Idaho, Montana, Alaska, etc. They hear or read about something and see one for sale and then buy it at an exorbitant price. Or, come into possession of an item and think it's "priceless." Luckily, I've still got a few brain cells left and have no great need for their things. I always sell at a reasonable price, and will pay a reasonable price. The only thing I'm into collecting is pension checks!!:D:D

People are fickle creatures. They are willing to spend whatever it takes to beat someone else out of an item, without even thinking about what the item is actually worth.

I have seen used items for sale on E-Bay go for more than twice the price of the exact same brand new item currently available on Amazon.com with free shipping.

I think there will be three #10 skillets selling for $350+ (each) this week alone.

But..... If you're still looking for a No.10 There are also a LOT of others going within the next few days that will be bargains if the price doesn't jump a whole lot at the end.

ERIEs, Wagners, an old gate marked fancy handle in good shape, 3-notch Lodges, A couple nice Favorite Piquas, etc..

Back