Puzzling over another piece

I have a pan I thought was a Griswold chicken fryer. My blue book came in today and I have been going thru it. It appears that the chicken fryer is something other than it first appeared. The pan is a #8 and is deep with 10 1/2 Chicken Fryer on the bottom. The lid was a nice Griswold #8 self basting with the small logo in the center. I only paid $5.00 for this and another piece, so it's not like I lost anything. The pan has no name on it and a smooth bottom. Where the handle meets the side of the pan, there is a small flat triangular area. A shot rib (1/2 inch) runs from the apex of the triangular area towards the end of the handle. Handle has an oval loop in the end. Underside of the handle has an inset "L". Its a great piece to use. Pot roasts and stews do great in it. Just wondering who made it. In my search, I found 2 on Ebay--one claims to be a Wagner, and the other a Griswold. Bet that's a surprise to you.:chuckle:

If an unmarked Wagner, with no "Made In USA" under the "10-1/2 Inch Chicken Fryer", then it would not likely have been produced after the acquisition nor would the the Griswold marked cover probably have been sold with it. Wagner did debrand some Griswold DO cover patterns and sell them with what ostensibly would have been Wagner pattern pans. But for $5, in any case... Would still be interested in photos.

Click. The switch just got thrown and the light came on. I have been puzzling over this piece, as said, and been thinking about it off and on. I posted about the 12 inch Wagner unmarked on Show and Tell. I was about ready to go to bed, and all of a sudden it dawned on me. The lettering and placement of the 12 inch was the same as this piece. At 6 o'clock of the 12 inch skillet is the letter B for the molder's mark(I think that is what it is called), and it appears on the underside of the handle. I had used the Chicken Fryer to fry tenders tonight, so I got it and looked, and on the underside of the handle was an L. I have never cleaned this piece, it was usable when I got it. On the bottom side of the pan is a lot of built up carbon. So I got a wire brush and gently massaged the pan at 6 o'clock, and bingo--there's the letter L. An unmarked Wagner Chicken fryer. Checked the blue book, and in the pattern number listings, there's a pan referred to as a Chicken Fryer. Far as I'm concerned, case closed. Wagner pan, Griswold lid. It also has an incised 8 on the top of the handle next to where it joins the pan--that should have been a clue!! Oh well.

Back